THE WORLD may turn bleak without good governance. “A new dark age could descend in some regions where tyrants abuse their subjects and where jihadists or criminal gangs roam freely to terrorise dispossessed populations.” Or so say Nathan Gardels and Nicolas Berggruen in “Renovating Democracy.” The book is a romp through all that’s going wrong with politics, from populists on the rise, robots stealing jobs, climate change being ignored and technocrats bereft of fresh ideas. Helpfully, the pair focus on solutions, from “universal basic capital” (financial support from the state so people invest) to finding common ground between China and America to ensure stability. Without this accord, they foresee “swaths of pandemonium” that “surround gated outposts that are linked to one another but [are] divorced from their planetary hinterland in a kind of global apartheid system.” Get our daily newsletter Upgrade your inbox and get our Daily Dispatch and Editor’s Picks. It’s sobering stuff, and from an unlikely source. Mr Berggruen is a billionaire investor who has parlayed his wealth into a foundation, the Berggruen Institute, that supports good governance and big ideas. Mr Gardels is a co-founder of the institute and the editor of its media offshoot, The WorldPost…. Read full this story
- Formula 1 is a giant mess right now and needs fixing
- No Fixed Abode: Guess You Won’t Be Superchargin’ After All, Pal
- Chelsea have problems that need solving
- Premier League transfer needs: Final week of the window
- Buccaneers address need for LB, WR, punter in free agency
- NFL Week 13 early odds: Floundering Packers open as double-digit favorites, Raiders huge home 'dogs
- Why are Fnatic floundering so badly?
- Soccer can do a lot to fix its racism, it just hasn’t
- All the politics don't mean a thing until the FFA fix football's problems
- Basic Handling Solutions – 17 Quick Handling Fixes
Democracy is floundering: we need to fix it or lose it have 298 words, post on www.economist.com at May 16, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.