Nigel Farage’s europhobe Brexit Party leads in polls in Britain. (Photo: AFP/Frederick Florin) Eurosceptic forces are expected to seize ground in the European Parliament, buoyed by popular concerns about immigration, even if few parties want to quit the bloc. Only in Britain, which voted in June 2016 to quit the union but has yet to decide how and when, are outright anti-European “leavers” expected to do well. But once-marginal populist and nationalist parties have a new wind in their sails and could win enough seats to trouble Brussels’ federalist consensus. The main centre-right and centre-left blocs in the Strasbourg assembly may have to offer alliances or concessions to populist rivals for the first time. Voting will begin Thursday in a Britain roiled by parliamentary fighting over how to define Brexit, and Nigel Farage’s europhobe Brexit Party leads in polls. The Netherlands votes the same day, followed by Ireland on Friday, some eastern countries on Saturday then France, Germany, Spain, Italy and the rest on Sunday. The British result is not expected to change much in Brussels, although a strong showing by the Labour opposition may help the socialist bloc in Europe. But EU leaders and top Brussels officials will be… Read full this story
- FDA Vote Sets Stage for Gene Therapy’s Future
- Macron lays out vision for 'profound' changes in post-Brexit EU
- Study explores how Scotland and Northern Ireland can fulfil aspirations post-Brexit
- Roaming fees could return post-Brexit as UK gov confirms Digital Single Market exit
- Arizona lawmakers set stage for late-night budget debate
- The post-Brexit boom in Swedish citizenship applications isn't slowing down
- Trade with UK will be more difficult and expensive post-Brexit, Swedish government warned
- ACTA ‘death’ vote set for Wednesday: Everything you need to know
- Europe voted in favor of universal mobile device chargers: What will Apple do?
- Comments for : Dish CEO Ergen responds to Softbank's attack; Sprint stockholder vote set for June 12th
Europe votes to set stage for post Brexit union have 320 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at May 17, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.