Celebrating their 10th English league title in 15 years, Liverpool players jumped joyously at Anfield on April 28, 1990, When they took a nine-point lead in late December, Kopites thought that elusive 19th English championship was just ahead. Not quite. Liverpool heads into Sunday’s final matches in the Premier League one point behind defending champion Manchester City, likely needing a victory at home against Wolverhampton and City failing to win at Brighton. “I’ve always said funnier things have happened in football,” Bruce Grobbelaar, Liverpool’s goalkeeper in 1990, said Wednesday at Yankee Stadium where he was helping to promote a July 24 friendly in the Bronx against Sporting Lisbon. Since Liverpool’s last league title, Manchester United has won 13 championships under manager Alex Ferguson to raise its total to a record 20. Chelsea won five, Arsenal four, City three, while Leeds, Blackburn and Leicester earned one each. “I’m not quite sure we’d know how to take it. It seems to have been like a Holy Grail for so long,” said Steve Nicol, a defender on the 1990 champions and an ESPN commentator. “It’s kind of one of these things that you wonder is it ever going to happen, and then you… Read full this story
- 'It will go to the wire' – Jürgen Klopp predicts fierce Premier League title fight
- Man Utd level on points with Liverpool after winning pulsating encounter with Aston Villa
- Vardy still firing in his 30s, Carroll ends long wait - the Premier League weekend's quirky facts
- Paige Hareb looks for elusive win at surfing nationals
- SEC Basketball Preview: Taking a quick look around the league as title race gets under way
- PDC Darts Final 2021 LIVE REACTION: Gerwyn Price wins first world title after brilliant 7-3 victory over Gary Anderson
- Allardyce's wait for a win goes on as Blackpool dump West Brom out of Cup
- Canelo Alvarez dominates Callum Smith to win another world title
- At Southern, the long wait for spring football is nearly over. Here's how preseason camp will look.
- Liverpool Manager Jurgen Klopp Reveals the Only Highlight of Year 2020
The long wait: Liverpool looks to win elusive league title have 336 words, post on apnews.com at May 10, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.