A US Lockheed Martin F-16 fighter jet on the final day of the Aero India 2019 air show. EPA-EFE/JAGADEESH NV. After the US State Department announced on Monday evening that it has approved a possible sale to Bulgaria of a squadron of new and fully armed F-16 Block 70/72 aircraft for an estimated cost of $1.673 billion, the Bulgarian defence minister said he expected to get the planes for a cheaper price. “I think we can get close to $1-1.1 billion USD, which is within reasonable limits and favourable for Bulgaria,” Defence Minister Krasimir Karakachanov told reporters on Tuesday. “Of course, the US side will try to get as high price as they can, but it is far from clear we will comply. At least I can tell you I will try to go down to $1-1.11 billion, which I think is realistic,” he added. Karakachanov’s comments come after the Defence Security Cooperation Agency of the US State Department announced it has delivered the required certification notifying Congress of the possible sale on May 30. “By acquiring these F-16s and the associated sustainment and training package, Bulgaria will be able to provide for the defence of its own airspace and… Read full this story
- Reuters: Amid Russia tensions, producing F-35 fighter jets without Turkey possible
- Kathimerini: Fighter jets to fly over Athens as part of Iniohos exercise
- Japanese Military Says It Found Alleged Debris of Missing Fighter Jet
- Pakistani fighter jets 'try to violate Indian air space' as tensions escalate
- Are Bulgaria’s strings still being pulled by the Kremlin?
- AA: F-35 jets to be delivered to Turkey in November
- Russia and Bulgaria Leaders Discuss Energy in Sofia
- AA: Israeli jets strike eastern Gaza
- Kathimerini: Turkish jets violate Greek airspace
- Yeni Safak: Turkish jets destroy PKK terror targets in N.Iraq
Bulgaria Hopes for Discount on US Fighter Jets have 292 words, post on balkaninsight.com at June 4, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.