The Trump administration has reinstated the US government’s power to order the death penalty for federal crimes – and has started by immediately scheduling five executions.Those condemned to death have been convicted of murders and sex crimes, the Justice Department said, and are due to be executed by lethal injection using a single drug, pentobarbital, which replaces a three-drug cocktail previously used in federal executions.It is the first time central government has been able to authorise capital punishment since 2003.The five people due to be executed are:White supremacist Daniel Lewis Lee, who was convicted in Arkansas of murdering a family of three, including an eight-year-old girl;Lezmond Mitchell, who was found guilty in Arizona of stabbing a 63-year-old grandmother and forcing her young granddaughter to sit next to her lifeless body on a car journey before slitting the girl’s throat;Welsey Ira Purkey, found guilty in Missouri in November 2003 of raping and killing a 16-year-old girl before dismembering and burning her body. He also used a claw hammer to kill an 80-year-old woman;Alfred Bourgeois, convicted in Texas in 2004, tortured and sexually molested his two-year-old daughter before beating her to death;Dustin Lee Honken, found guilty in Iowa in 2004 of murdering… Read full this story
- Elizabeth Warren says Donald Trump ordered strikes on Iran to distract from his impeachment trial as Democrats brand the president a 'monster' for plotting 'war crimes'
- Death penalty: are we really united in our opposition?
- Virginia MS-13 member, 27, is facing the death penalty for ordering the killings of a 17-year-old rival and his 14-year-old friend - as a defense lawyer blasts Trump for using the case to appear tough on illegal immigrants
- 'Taking out a bad guy is not necessarily a good idea!' Pete Buttigieg says Donald Trump didn't consider consequences of killing Qassem Soleimani and is playing 'checkers' instead of '3-D chess'
- Donald Trump accuses Democrats of pursuing his impeachment 'at this moment in our history, when I am so busy' - a day after Elizabeth Warren asked whether he ordered Qassem Soleimani's death as a distraction
- 'Will hit Iran harder than ever before if US attacked': Donald Trump issues fresh warning
- Texas Bill Would Make Abortion Punishable by the Death Penalty
- Donald Trump’s Brain Is a Catch-22
- Donald Trump says Iran 'appears to be standing down' but vows to hit the regime with 'punishing sanctions' after damp squib revenge rocket attack fails to draw American blood
- What Do Mexicans Think of Donald Trump?
Donald Trump reinstates death penalty for federal crimes have 410 words, post on news.sky.com at July 26, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.