Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland By Kenneth Macdonald BBC Scotland Science Correspondent 2 September 2019 Share this with Facebook Share this with Messenger Share this with Twitter Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with WhatsApp Share this with Messenger Share this with Twitter Share Share this with These are external links and will open in a new window Email Share this with Email Facebook Share this with Facebook Messenger Share this with Messenger Messenger Share this with Messenger Twitter Share this with Twitter Pinterest Share this with Pinterest WhatsApp Share this with WhatsApp LinkedIn Share this with LinkedIn Copy this link https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49523047 Read more about sharing. These are external links and will open in a new window Close share panel Researchers at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh have found a gene that helps barley cope with climate change.They said it enabled barley to resist drought and thereby “future-proof” the whisky industry – and could be extended to other crops. Barley is the fundamental raw material for both whisky and beer production. Global heating is hitting barley crops, with 2018’s hot summer having a catastrophic effect on yields across Europe, especially in the UK.”There was a loss of… Read full this story
- Macallan and the New Face of Scotch Whisky
- What Record-Breaking Drought Means for California's Future
- Australia's GM hornless cows and the science experiment that went wrong
- What would Vietnam be without the Mekong Delta?
- What would Việt Nam be without the Mekong Delta?
- Koala losses from recent NSW bushfires 'One of the most significant biodiversity impacts in our history'
- The L.A. garden tours you won’t want to miss this spring
- The Magic Barrel: The Art & Science of Aging Spirits
- The brutal world of sheep fighting: the illegal sport beloved by Algeria’s 'lost generation'
- What My Parents Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan taught me about the power of daily rituals
Drought-tolerant barley could future-proof whisky have 314 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at September 1, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.