Brussels has delayed its decision on a Brexit extension, an EU source told Euronews, adding the agreement will likely be decided upon next Monday or Tuesday. At their meeting on Friday morning, EU envoys to Brussels agreed on the need for an extension but work will continue over the weekend to finalise the agreement, the source said. “There was full agreement on the need for an extension and there was full agreement to reach a unanimous, consensual EU27 decision.” The decision will be taken by written procedure and EU Council President Donald Tusk will not convene a special EU Council meeting. It comes as UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to push for a snap general election on Monday, amid ongoing deadlock over getting his Brexit deal approved by British MPs. Reuters reported that a draft decision by the 27 EU countries would grant the UK an extension “with the view to allowing for the finalisation of the ratification”. The draft text leaves the new Brexit date blank but says the UK’s departure could take place earlier if ratification is completed earlier – an idea known as “flextension”. “Consequently, the withdrawal should take place on the first day of… Read full this story
- Holidaying PM Johnson Reportedly Drafts 'To Do' List Ahead of Tough Brussels Talks as Brexit Looms
- Donald Tusk welcomes push for Brexit extension, with a key condition
- UK will have less than 18 months to reach deal, says EU Brexit broker
- Brexit will cause 'more damage' to UK says EU chief but we'd be welcomed back
- Brussels wants its own Brexit extension to agree UK trade deal – keeping us tied to EU laws until 2020
- How a No Deal Brexit COULD happen this week: Wednesday's summit is set to delay leaving the EU by a YEAR - or the UK could crash out on FRIDAY if hardliner Macron makes good on threats
- 12 Months of Brexmas: 1 Election, 2 Prime Ministers, 3 Brexit Delays…
- European Commission 2019-2024: Who has been nominated for a top job by EU chief Von der Leyen?
- Theresa May stands by pledge to cling on until Brexit deal is done
- EU lawmakers urge Britain to call off Brexit
Brussels to delay decision on Brexit extension until after weekend, says EU source have 354 words, post on www.euronews.com at October 25, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.