caption Employees work at a drilling rig. source Alexander Nemenox / AFP / Getty Since the early 1960s, humans have attempted to drill down to the Earth’s mantle. Russia holds the record for the deepest man-made hole in the world at more than 40,000 feet deep. That’s 7.6 miles. No one has ever reached the Earth’s mantle, although scientists have never given up trying to get to it. Some of the other deepest man-made holes are from oil companies, while some of the largest holes have been dug to extract copper and diamonds. Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories. America might have landed on the moon, but Russia drilled the deepest man-made hole on Earth. Since the early 1960s, scientists have attempted to drill down to the Earth’s mantle. It took 20 years, but Russia drilled down 40,230 feet into the earth, before heat forced work to stop. Despite reaching such a depth, Russia never got to the mantle. But nearby residents have said they can hear souls screaming in hell coming from it. After that, Germany and Japan entered the race. But, still, no one’s managed to drill to the mantle. Outside of science, oil companies have drilled… Read full this story
- Man Drowns in Sand Hole He Dug at a Beach
- 'Stealthing' woman who poked holes in man's condoms sentenced
- Horror as teenager, 18, killed in beach sand hole he dug with his sister, 17
- World's 'most endangered tribe' are expert hunters and eat monkeys but may be wiped out
- Man savaged to death by alligator while searching for frisbee in infested lake
- Man has forearm amputated after botched bicep curl leads to flesh-eating bug
- Man, 20, cut in half after horror forklift accident didn't care 'if he was just a head'
- Florida man searching lake for Frisbees killed by alligator
- Interesting Facts About the Greatest Wonders of the World
- Asian hornet attack in Spain leaves man dead after angry swarm sting couple
These are the deepest and largest man-made holes in the world have 315 words, post on www.businessinsider.sg at October 7, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.