ANKARA (Reuters) – The Trump administration dispatched its top officials to Turkey on Wednesday for emergency talks to try to persuade Ankara to halt an assault on northern Syria, while Russian troops swept into territory abandoned by Washington in a sudden retreat. Smoke billows out after Turkish shelling on the Syrian town of Ras al Ain, as seen from the Turkish border town of Ceylanpinar, in Sanliurfa province, Turkey, October 16, 2019. REUTERS/Murad Sezer Robert O’Brien, White House national security adviser since last month, arrived in Turkey aiming to meet Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu on Wednesday. Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo are expecting to meet the following day with President Tayyip Erdogan. The administration is trying to contain the fallout from Erdogan’s decision to send forces last week to attack Syrian Kurdish militia that were Washington’s close allies. Erdogan repeated his insistence there would be no ceasefire, and said he might call off a visit to the United States next month because of the “very big disrespect” shown by U.S. politicians. He also denounced the United States for taking the “unlawful, ugly step” of imposing criminal charges against a Turkish state bank over allegations it… Read full this story
- Trump declares victory over IS in Syria, orders US troops home
- Trump advisor in Turkey for talks on Syria pullout
- No decision yet from Trump on Syria response
- Trump warns Syria, Russia and Iran against Idlib 'tragedy'
- Turkish tanks, special forces launch first major push into Syria to battle IS
- U.S.-led coalition says it has started Syria withdrawal
- US-led coalition says it has started Syria withdrawal
- Obama sends more Special Forces to Syria to help battle IS
- Kerry, Lavrov meet to finalize details of Syria cooperation deal
- Syrian army advances as rebels put peace talks on hold
Trump officials rush to Turkey as Moscow advances to fill Syria void from US retreat have 296 words, post on feeds.reuters.com at October 16, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.