A sculptor known for trying to redress history through her art is creating the first statue of real-life women for New York’s Central Park, where the only females so honoured until now have been fictional characters.Meredith Bergmann’s vision for the sculpture, chosen from 91 submissions, features three women’s rights pioneers — Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Sojourner Truth. While honouring their specific efforts on behalf of women’s suffrage, women’s civil rights and the abolition of slavery, Bergmann hopes her latest work will also make a statement about the need to recognize the contributions of women.“This monument has a very focused message,” she said in an interview at her studio in Ridgefield, Connecticut. “The fact of the monument itself, that it exists at all, that it will be where it is, is the message.”Of the 23 statues of historical figures in the 840-acre, 166-year-old public park, none honours actual women. There are statues of three female fictional characters: Alice in Wonderland, Mother Goose and William Shakespeare’s Juliet, who appears with Romeo.There had been a moratorium on erecting any new statues in Central Park. But in 2014, a volunteer, nonprofit group called Monumental Women, made up… Read full this story
- Commentary: Remembering David Driskell, whose landmark 1976 show insisted: Black art matters
- Art star Marina Abramović caught up in row over 'Nothing'
- Coronavirus live updates: Sonoma County to let more businesses open; Oakland tightens restrictions on parks
- 10 women in jazz who never got their due
- China warns women off handsome foreign spies in 'Dangerous Love' comic
- Coronavirus live updates: Ousted vaccine director warns of ‘darkest winter in modern history’
- The Hill's Coronavirus Report: Chef José Andrés says most political leaders today are not acting with urgency; Dems crafting 'Rooseveltian' relief package
- Pictured: Dozens of refrigerated trucks and hearses lined up in a parking lot outside of Manhattan waiting to be loaded with body bags as death toll in NYC reaches 4,778
- While COVID wrecks the economy, US entrepreneurship and new ventures are hopeful green sprouts
- Wuhan airport drill for passenger with a new type of coronavirus last SEPTEMBER, French athletes falling sick in the city in OCTOBER and a warning by Bat Woman expert A YEAR ago... so when did Covid first erupt in China?
A sculptor known for trying to redress history through her art is crafting first women’s statue for New York’s Central Park have 374 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at November 22, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.