The New York Post reports that Mr Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, has a net worth of $US110 billion ($A162 billion), which topped Mr Bezos’ total worth of $US109 billion ($160 billion), according to the index.
Mr Gates briefly held the top spot last month after Amazon suffered a 28 per cent drop in profits the three months ending in September, but quickly lost the spot again to Mr Bezos, CNN reported.
Mr Gates’ ascent to the top spot was spurred by a 48 per cent increase in Microsoft shares, which lifted his net worth, according to CNN.
Mr Bezos’ wealth was also impacted by his divorce settlement with his former wife MacKenzie.
Their divorce settlement left her with 19.7 million shares of Amazon.com valued at more than $38 billion, according to Bloomberg.
TEN RICHEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD
1 — Bill Gates (Microsoft founder) $110b ($A162 billion)
2 — Jeff Bezos (Amazon founder) $109b ($A160 billion)
3 — Bernard Arnault (LVMH Moët Hennessy) $103b ($A151 billion)
4 — Warren Buffett (Berkshire Hathaway) $86.6b ($A127 billion)
5 — Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook) $74.5b ($A110 billion)
6 — Amancio Ortega (Zara) $67.6b ($A100 billion)
7 — Larry Page (Google) $64.3b ($A94.5 billion)
8 — Sergey Brin (Google) $62.4b ($A92 billion)
9 — Charles Koch (Koch Industries) $61.7b ($A90 billion)
10 — Julia Flesher Koch (David Koch’s widow) $61.7b ($A90 billion)
This article originally appeared in the New York Post and is republished here with permission
- Bill Gates joins Jeff Bezos as the only two members of the US$100 billion club
- Jeff Bezos becomes richest man in modern history, topping $150 billion
- Jeff Bezos was the world’s richest person for a few hours yesterday
- The unlikely way Jeff Bezos became one of the first investors in Google, which probably made him a billionaire outside of Amazon
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, wife MacKenzie set to divorce
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is the richest man in recent history with a net worth of $150 billion, beating Bill Gates’ record
- Jeff Bezos is now the richest person in modern history — here’s how he spends his money on philanthropy
- Jeff Bezos is now the richest person ever, but only because Bill Gates is so generous
- Jeff Bezos made an average of $107 million per day last year — here’s how much the richest people in the world earned every 24 hours
- Jeff Bezos is the richest person alive — here’s how he makes and spends his billions