Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has said workers and consumers would “take back control” under a new business model if Labour wins the election.In a speech in Westminster, he said company boards would include workers and elected members, giving them greater influence over pay structure.And public sector chief executives would not be allowed to earn more than 20 times someone on the living wage.That would mean a maximum salary of about £350,000. The plans were part of an overall vision to create a business model that was not based on the “unfettered pursuit of profit maximisation”.He said the relentless pursuit of shareholder value and “corporate greed” had been to the detriment of the workers who create that wealth.”Labour’s reforms to how our large businesses and public utilities are governed, owned and regulated and how both workers and consumers are represented will genuinely enable them to take back control,” he said. Labour’s economic plan in 10 points Live: Latest from the election campaign trail Mr McDonnell added that he would like to see large companies that were not taking adequate steps to tackle climate change be delisted from the FTSE 100.
- Osborne 'ignored child poverty warning'
- Stop watching the clock! Meet the pioneers of flexible working who think you should ditch the 9 to 5
- Brexit latest news: Theresa May should go back to Brussels to renegotiate or be replaced, Tory MP says
- Brexit latest news: EU prepared to offer Theresa May Brexit deal lifeline by extending Article 50
- Brexit latest news: EU prepared to offer Theresa May lifeline by extending Article 50
- Isle of Madness: A Series of Miscalculations Has Brought Britain to the Brink
- Brexit latest news: Theresa May forced to publish legal advice in full as MPs warned they will 'live to regret' rebellion
- Brexit latest news: Theresa May's full legal advice published as MPs warned they will 'live to regret' rebellion
- Brexit latest news: Legal advice reveals Britain will be trapped in backstop even if talks with EU break down
General election 2019: Workers under Labour 'will take back control' have 334 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at November 19, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.