Good morning and welcome to the first full day of the official election campaign – and our first special election edition of the Guardian morning briefing. As we head towards 12 December there will be more and more election news, so the briefing will reflect that. You can consider this your jumping off point for our daily live coverage. And we will continue to bring you a taste of the rest of the news from the UK and beyond. What’s going on? The debate about the direction of the Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn looks set to kick off again after Tom Watson announced last night that he will step down as deputy leader. Watson – who has spent 35 years in full-time politics, and has represented West Bromwich East as its MP since 2001 – has repeatedly clashed with Corbyn, including over the Labour leader’s Brexit stance and handling of antisemitism. One senior Labour figure said Watson’s announcement had led to “a great sense of desolation and abandonment sweeping the moderates” in the party. Watson insisted his resignation was “personal, not political” and said he would “spend this election fighting for brilliant Labour candidates and a better future for… Read full this story
- Confusion over Boris Johnson's tentative three-stage lockdown exit plan to get Britain back to normal within three months as PM says millions MUST return to work today and can exercise as much as they like - but people STILL cannot see their relatives
- As Donald Trump's team exits, here are Joe Biden's choices to replace them
- The Hill's Morning Report - Biden asks Congress to expand largest relief response in U.S. history
- The Hill's Morning Report - House to impeach Trump on Wednesday
- No10 slaps down Tory calls for 'road map' out of lockdown as ministers plot tougher borders and bigger bailouts - despite R number falling BELOW 1 and figures showing cases have HALVED in a fortnight
- 'Knackered' Boris 'will leave Number 10 in a year': Tories predict chaos and Brussels gloats that UK is about to cave in on Brexit as Vote Leave maestro Dominic Cummings is driven out as part of Downing Street 'reset' overseen by Carrie
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson blames Chinese for coronavirus pandemic telling world leaders it was triggered by 'demented' people who 'grind up the scales of a pangolin' in bid to become more 'potent'
- FMIA: How The Browns—And A Guy Named Blake—Survived Weird Wild-Card Week And Upset The Steelers
- Joe Biden takes part in virtual prayer service broadcast from National Cathedral in final act of his COVID-safe inauguration – before getting to work on dealing with pandemic
- Now for the Big Freeze: Met Office warns up to FOUR INCHES of snow will sweep UK from today, with temperatures set to plunge to -10C this weekend - as flooding hell continues for thousands after Storm Christoph
Thursday briefing: Tom Watson's exit reignites Labour identity crisis have 467 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 7, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.