Chan Cho-kwong, a retired policeman and former chairman of The Junior Police Officers’ Association (JPOA), says he is keen to participate in the 2019 District Council elections on Nov 24. He will compete in Sheung Shun constituency of Kwun Tong district against two candidates — the incumbent district councillor Fu Pik-chun and Mark Leung Hon-kei. Chan, who retired in April as a station sergeant after 39 years of service, has been thinking about participating in a district election for several months. In the end, it was the spate of lawless and violent demonstrations against the now-defunct extradition bill that motivated him to reach a decision last month and sign up for the election. Speaking to China Daily in an interview, Chan, who served as chairman of JPOA for six years and vice-chairman for two years, said he had helped fellow police officers strive for better employee benefits. After retirement, he participated in volunteer services; youth, elderly, transport and livelihood issues are all things he is passionate about. Chan later considered a bigger stage to continue serving the community by becoming a District Council member. He explained that the recent violent protests made him more determined to contest the election. Outlook… Read full this story
- Moment illegal Sudanese immigrants caught after spending two days cowering under a coach full of retired police officers
- Police sergeant Darren McKie arrested over murder of detective wife Leanne who is remembered as ‘beautiful soul inside and out’
- Former Garda commissioner claims she was used as a ‘political football’
- Ex-Garda chief claims she was a ‘political football’ in whistleblower scandal
- Inverclyde's new policing chiefs admit 'violence is a problem' in crackdown vow
- Chiefs accused of spying probe whitewash after two bosses retire
- Dee Fennell unhappy with 'dissident label' and asks BBC presenter 'what's your stance on violence'
- North-east pupils team up with police in warning over school parking
- Senior police officer DID throw stress ball at colleague and found to have committed misconduct
- Loughinisland legal challenge delays Police Ombudsman report into mass killings
Violence prompts retired police sergeant to get into politics have 326 words, post on www.chinadaily.com.cn at November 15, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.