Beijing is insisting U.S. tariffs must be rolled back as part of any phase one trade deal with Washington, China’s Global Times newspaper said on Sunday citing unnamed sources, amid continued uncertainty on whether the two sides can strike a deal.“A US pledge to scrap tariffs scheduled for December 15 cannot replace the rollbacks of tariffs,” the newspaper said in a tweet, referring to an additional round of tariffs on Chinese imports to be implemented in the absence of a trade deal.The Global Times is published by the People’s Daily, the official newspaper of China’s ruling Communist Party.On Tuesday, U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington was in the “final throes” of a deal aimed at defusing a 16-month trade war with China, a few days after Chinese President Xi Jinping had expressed his desire for a trade agreement. Top trade negotiators for both countries also spoke again and agreed to continue working on the remaining issues.Trade experts and people close to the White House told Reuters last month, however, that signing of a phase one agreement may not take place until the new year as China pressed for more extensive rollbacks of tariffs. An agreement was initially expected to be… Read full this story
- China open to partial US trade deal despite tech blacklist
- Exclusive: US Commerce's Ross eyes anti-China 'poison pill' for new trade deals
- China is 'hopeful' for a trade deal with the US: Chinese official
- Trump wants too much from trade deals
- China, US sprint to seal trade deal ahead of Trump deadline
- China: Trade deals off if US goes ahead with sanctions
- Trump on G-20: 'China wants to make a deal; if we can make a deal we will'
- China calls Trump’s newest trade attack ‘blackmail,’ says US ‘initiated a trade war’
- Why and where the US and China have trouble agreeing on trade
- Trump scores first major trade deal in pact with South Korea
China wants U.S. tariffs rolled back in phase one trade deal: Global Times have 320 words, post on www.thehindu.com at December 1, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.