Children in Germany are eating more and more sugary foods, and have quickly exceeded the yearly amount recommended by nutrition experts, the Berlin-based group Foodwatch said on Monday. The consumer advocacy organization named August 12 “Sugar Overshoot Day,” after calculating how much sugar kids in Germany consume and comparing it to guidelines issued by the World Health Organization, the German Nutrition Society and the German Diabetes Society. The data stems from a 2016 study in Dortmund that analyzed the nutritional habits of 1,000 children in Germany aged between 3 and 18. The study found that kids were consuming 63% more sugar than what was recommended. Foodwatch also determined that adult men in Germany reach “Sugar Overshoot Day” on September 20 while adult women reach it on October 8. Watch video 01:13 Share Should Germany tax sugar? Send Facebook Twitter google+ Whatsapp Tumblr linkedin stumble Digg reddit Newsvine Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/2vXtA Should Germany introduce a sugar tax? Urging action on high-sugar food Foodwatch said that the food industry shoulders much of the blame for perpetuating the issue and has urged the German government to step in. “Of course it isn’t a problem if children eat sweets,” Foodwatch expert Oliver Huizinga emphasized. The… Read full this story
- Earth Overshoot Day: Humanity has already used up all world's resources for 2019
- What Parents Should Know About Coronavirus As Kids Return To Babysitters, Day Cares And Camps
- Summer is not completely canceled. Here are 100 things we can do with or without kids.
- Hungry Kids: Thousands In Anne Arundel Don't Have Enough To Eat
- Should You Let Your Kids Play Pokémon Go? Why a Mom of Tweens Says Yes
- La Grange Park Opens Revised Summer Day Program
- 5 Tips To Fight 'Super Lice' As Laguna Beach Kids Go Back To School
- Annapolis Safe Spring Break: Free, 3-Day Event
- Surprise Your MD Mom By Sharing A Photo On Patch For Mother's Day
- Virtual Woodstock Memorial Day Ceremony To Be Streamed Online
German kids surpass 'sugar overshoot day' have 322 words, post on www.dw.com at December 8, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.