Aroha Andrew knows how almost totally unbearable the pain of being burnt is. The grief, the lack of dignity, loss of self confidence, denial, isolation, the horrible hallucinations brought on by heavy duty painkillers and the desire to make it all stop. As news of the number of burns victims following the Whakaari/White Island eruption broke, the 25-year-old watched on in horror remembering her own painful experience when 62 per cent of her body was burnt in a Timaru house fire on August 21, 2016. She was 21 and staying at a friend’s house when a heater caught fire. She awoke to find the room she was sleeping in engulfed in flames. Putting her hands over over face to stop the intense heat she managed to find her way outside. READ MORE:Year of trauma: Christchurch Hospital staff responded to March 15, then Whakaari Whakaari/White Island eruption: Rare injuries challenge Australian burns teamsWhakaari/White Island eruption: 1.2 million square cm of skin needed to treat burns victimsI Am: How Aroha Andrew survived 11 months in hospital with 62 per cent burns She is still undergoing therapy to stretch her skin and move her hands properly. On December 9 at 2.11pm Whakaari/White Island erupted killing and injuring tourists sight seeing… Read full this story
- Love Island's Georgia Steel wows in sexy bridal white dress as she hits the town with fellow Islander Joe Garratt in London... amid Callum Izzard 'engagement'
- EXCLUSIVE: Love Island's Dom Lever reveals he's had a hair transplant to restore his receding hairline - and the new dad says he 'didn't feel a thing'
- Samsung omnia white – a beautiful touch screen handset
- Tech billionaires haven’t killed Burning Man’s anti-capitalist spirit—but influencers might
- Amber Gill EXCLUSIVE: 'Greg, who?' Love Island champ rules out rekindling her romance with O'Shea and wishes her 'DMs were poppin' as she sheds light on her 'busy' life after series win
- Burns survivor who was mummified for THREE MONTHS after her dress caught fire when she was four-year-old says she’s ‘glad it happened’ because it's made her strong
- 'We are happy, healthy and recovering at our own rate': Love Island's Jess Shears hits back at trolls who slammed her for working out soon after giving birth
- Indonesia: Volcanic eruption triggers aviation warning
- Chile Vacations: Exploring Easter Island
- Are You Living On An Island Of Fear?
Timaru burns survivor's message to Whakaari/White Island eruption survivors have 389 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at December 20, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.