India and Pakistan saw spikes in daily cases after ramping up testing efforts Brazil and Mexico reported a record number of daily deaths from the coronavirus for the second consecutive day New York governor urges protesters to get tested More than 6.5 million people are now infected with COVID-19 globally and some 386,000 have died All times in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC/GMT) 23:55 We are now closing coverage on these updates. Head over to Friday’s coverage for the latest . 23:50 South Africa has seen its biggest surge in daily infections with 3,267 cases being registered in 24 hours. Fifty-six new deaths were reported, taking the total toll to 848. The country is the most affected by the coronavirus pandemic in sub-Saharan Africa with a total of 40,792 cases of infection. 23:08 The total number of coronavirus deaths in Peru crossed 5,000, as hospitals in the country grapple with a lack of oxygen for seriously ill patients. More than 4,200 new cases of COVID-19 and 137 deaths were reported in the last 24 hours. Peru has registered over 183,000 confirmed cases of the virus and 5,031 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic, making it the second hardest-hit country in Latin America after… Read full this story
- Coronavirus cases: India records 14,989 new COVID-19 cases, 98 fresh fatalities in past 24 hours
- Coronavirus cases: Rajasthan govt mandates COVID-19 report for passengers arriving from 4 states
- Maharashtra: Kalyan-Dombivli puts 7pm deadline on shops, eateries as cases rise
- 'The epidemic is receding in India'
- Coronavirus outbreak: Oval Maidan in Mumbai to be closed from February 26
Coronavirus latest: Pakistan, India report record daily spike in new cases, deaths have 241 words, post on www.dw.com at January 4, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.