Production on Black Panther 2 might still be a year or so out but when principal photography does begin, it could be yet another Marvel flick that shoots principal photography down under. Friday afternoon, reports began circulating in the blogosphere suggesting the Ryan Coogler-helmed film would film a good chunk of the movie in Australia, following the likes of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Thor: Love and Thunder. The primary report comes from MCU Cosmic, which says Black Panther 2 will begin production in Australia next spring from March to June before returning stateside to wrap things up.
It’s likely the sequel will film at the Fox Studios lot in Sydney after it was one of the assets Disney obtained in the merger with 20th Century this time last year. A March start to principal photography would likely slot the movie in at Fox Studios right after Thor: Love and Thunder, expected to use the sound stage space later this year.
Black Panther was filmed nearly entirely at Atlanta’s Pinewood Studios, a mainstay for most Marvel Studios productions prior to Phase 4. Black Widow and The Eternals have both elected to film overseas, primarily at Pinewood UK.
The movie will be Ryan Coogler’s first-ever sequel, something the filmmaker says will create an added level of pressure.
“I think the pressure is kind of always going to be there,” Coogler told IndieWire last summer. “I’ve had a chance to make three feature films, each one of them had its own very specific type of pressure. In the process of it, it feels insurmountable each time.”
He added, “When it comes to making a sequel, I’ve never done it before, a sequel to something that I’ve directed myself,” he added. “So I think there’s gonna be a lot of pressure there, but what we’re going to try to do is just focus on the work, like we always do. Really try to go step by step and try to quiet everything else around us, really focus on trying to make something that has some type of meaning.”
Black Panther 2 is currently set for release on May 6, 2022.
Other upcoming Marvel Studios movies include Black Widow on May 1st, The Eternals on November 6th, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings on February 12, 2021, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness on May 7, 2021, Spider-Man 3 on July 16, 2021, and Thor: Love and Thunder on November 5, 2021.
Who do you think will serve as the villain in Black Panther 2? Think it over and let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Did you know ComicBook.com has a podcast? That’s right folks, ComicBook Nation is available every Wednesday and Friday bringing you the best breakdowns of the week’s biggest news from Kofi Outlaw, Matt Aguilar, Janell Wheeler & the rest of the staff at the site. Catch the newest episode right here or subscribe on iTunes today!
- ‘Black Panther’ director teaming up with LeBron for new ‘Space Jam’ movie
- Wendell Carter wears incredible Black Panther-inspired outfit to NBA Draft
- Black Panther phenomenom rolls onto Netflix Sept. 4
- Space Jam 2 closer to reality: LeBron reportedly teams with Black Panther director
- LeBron James Pegs 'Black Panther's' Ryan Coogler to Produce 'Space Jam' Sequel
- 'Space Jam' sequel: LeBron James brings in 'Black Panther' director Ryan Coogler as producer
- Lexus LC500 Coupe Takes “Black Panther” Movie Theme for SEMA
- The 2018 Lexus LC 500 to co-star in Marvel's Black Panther
- Lexus LC 500 to Star in Marvel’s Black Panther
- Lexus LCs for SEMA inspired by Blue Morpho butterfly, Marvel's Black Panther