When Jessica Donald opened a letter last September inviting her to attend a cervical cancer screening test at her GP surgery shortly before her 25th birthday, she booked her appointment and didn’t give it a second thought. The dietician from Birmingham regarded the check, often referred to as a smear test, as just another part of routine healthcare, a bit like visiting the dentist. And having had the cervical cancer-preventing HPV (or human papillomavirus) vaccination at school when she was 14 – Jessica was among the first wave of youngsters to be given the jab – she was confident she had nothing to worry about. ‘At school we were told the HPV jab was to prevent cervical cancer,’ recalls Jessica. ‘Obviously, this wasn’t a huge worry for me as a teenager, but I thought the jab was a good thing because I assumed it would mean that I was unlikely ever to get it.’ Above, file image of a young woman having a cervical cancer-preventing HPV (or human papillomavirus) vaccination. Statistics suggest the jab could prevent more than 100,000 cancer cases over the next three decades. But although the programme is highly effective, it isn’t perfect This was backed up by… Read full this story
- The Medical Screenings All Women Need, and When
- The HPV Vaccine Doesn’t Deserve Its Reputation. Get It for Your Kids.
- The Medical Screenings All Men Need, and When
- Smoke Screen
- What Do Teens Think About When They Think About HIV?
- 25 Complaints to the US Military Broadcasting Network About Political Bias, Sexual Assault PSAs, and 'Faggot Movies'
- The best films of 2017 that we didn’t review
- Here's What Happened When an Actor Tried to Publicize a Racist Casting Call
- What to Expect After an Abnormal Pap Test
- When Should Women Start Getting Mammograms, and Why Is It So Controversial to Ask?
Proof you can be hit by cancer-causing HPV... even if you had the jab: Woman, 25, who was vaccinated as a teen at school reveals it happened to her - and that's why screening is still vital have 298 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at February 8, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.