Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia listers in the Social Entrepreneurs category have been dedicating their time to solving the region's problems and creating opportunities to better the lives of those around them. Farmers especially have been the center of attention for many of this year's crop of social entrepreneurs. After 2016's Typhoon Nock-ten, Louise Mabulo was raising donations for the storm's victims when she noticed that, while the storm had destroyed about 80% of her town's rice fields and coconut trees, its cacao trees had survived the onslaught. So the next years she set up The Cacao Project to get local farmers to plant more of the typhoon-resistant trees. While the typhoon in 2016 was particularly bad, the area of San Fernando, 380 kilometers southeast of Manila, is regularly battered by typhoons. "Every year there's a typhoon and there's a need for diversification," she says. Registered as a sole proprietorship, the project aims to distribute cacao seedlings for free, buy the raw or semi-processed beans from farmers, and then sell cacao in bulk to local or global buyers. Before getting their seeds, farmers go through intensive training; many lose at least half of the… Read full this story
- Why do we still waste so much food at home?
- Extended producer responsibility in solid waste management
- China's ban on foreign waste leaves Australian recycling industry eyeing opportunities
- Recycler dumps tonnes of waste in warehouse, leaving landlord with huge clean-up bill
- UPDATE 1-Indonesia makes 3rd rate cut since July, eases lending rules
- Impact investing can be next growth and job engine for India: Amit Bhatia, Global Steering Group
- UPDATE 1 -Indonesia makes 4th straight rate cut to help lift sluggish growth
- 'It's bedlam': Tasmania's economic boom leads to housing shortage
- UN official urges Lebanese gov't to solve economic, social problems to prevent youth emigration
- Tech entrepreneurs revive communal living
From Economic Empowerment To Waste Management, These 30 Under 30 Social Entrepreneurs Are Making An Impact In Asia have 314 words, post on www.forbes.com at April 1, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.