New Delhi: Gold imports, which have a bearing on the country’s current account deficit (CAD), fell 14.23 per cent to $ 28.2 billion during 2019-20, according to commerce ministry data. Imports of the yellow metal stood at $ 32.91 billion in 2018-19. The decline in gold imports has helped in narrowing the country’s trade deficit to $ 152.88 billion during the last fiscal, as against $ 184 billion a year ago. Gold imports have been recording negative growth since December last year. India is the largest importer of gold, which mainly caters to the demand of the jewellery industry. In volume terms, the country imports 800-900 tonnes of gold annually. To mitigate the negative impact of gold imports on trade deficit and CAD, the government increased the import duty on the metal to 12.5 per cent from 10 per cent. Industry experts claim that businesses in the sector are shifting their manufacturing bases to neighbouring countries due to the high duty. Gems and jewellery exporters had asked for reduction in import duty to 4 per cent. Gems and jewellery exports declined 11 per cent to $ 35.8 billion in 2019-20. The country’s gold imports dipped by 3 per cent in… Read full this story
- वित्त वर्ष 2019-20 के लिए आईटीआर-1 कैसे फाइल करें? जानिए एक-एक स्टेप
- CBSE Teachers Award 2019-20 ceremony to be held tomorrow
- Myanmar's border trade reaches 9.6 bln USD in 11 months of 2019-20 fiscal year
- Myanmar's foreign trade reaches over 33.5 bln USD in 11 months of FY 2019-20
- Avalanche’s 2019-20 acquisitions filled every need. Will GM Joe Sakic keep momentum rolling?
- Brighton 2020/21: Can Graham Potter's side take flight after strong end to 2019/20?
- SportStars’ 2019-20 NorCal Team Of The Year VOTE
- BriseBois, Lamoriello, Nill are 2019-20 NHL GM of the Year finalists
- Prophet Brown | SportStars’ 2019-20 Sac-Joaquin Male Athlete of the Year
- Lily Freitas | SportStars’ 2019-20 Sac-Joaquin Female Athlete of the Year
Gold imports dip 14.23% to $28.2 billion during 2019-20 have 294 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at April 15, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.