CLIMATE change could render a fifth of the planet as hot as the Sahara Desert by 2070, according to a new study. Scientists warned that a third of Earth’s population will be forced to either abandon their homes or attempt to survive in “near-unlivable” conditions if greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise over the next 50 years. Many people would have to migrate to cooler regions as vast swathes of farmland is rendered useless, Earther reports. The research involved the creation of a model that predicted future global warming trends. It was built by an international team of researchers using historical data going back 6,000 years. The model assumed that, over the next few decades, humanity will fail to act on climate change and will increase its greenhouse gas emissions over time.Under these conditions, 20 per cent of the planet’s landmass would experience Sahara-like temperatures year-round within the next fifty years, according to the study. That means an average yearly temperature above a scorching 29C. Currently, around 0.8 per cent of the planet experiences that sort of heat year-round. For comparison, Australia’s yearly average temperature is 21C while Spain’s is 13C. The countries most affected if emissions continue to rise include India,… Read full this story
- Eat less meat to prevent climate disaster, study warns
- Record Heat Wave Linked to Climate Change Killed 1,500 People in France This Summer
- New IPCC Report Shows How Our Abuse of Land Drives Climate Change
- Egypt's 'history of humanity' monuments face climate change threat
- Climate change: all that is solid melts into water
- Will We Miss Our Last Chance to Save the World From Climate Change?
- Climate Change Is Brutal for Everyone, but Worse for Women
- While the rich world braces for future climate change, the poor world is already being devastated by it
- UK heatwaves lasting twice as long as 50 years ago – Met Office
- Planet at its hottest in 115,000 years thanks to climate change, experts say
Third of Earth’s population could live in brutal ‘Sahara heat’ in just 50 YEARS due to climate change, study warns have 314 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 5, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.