Edinburgh, Scotland (CNN)When British Prime Minister Boris Johnson landed on Thursday in Orkney, an archipelago off Scotland’s northern coast, he boldly proclaimed that the trip proved his commitment to a united nation. “The Union is a fantastically strong institution — it’s helped our country through thick and thin,” he said. “I think what people really want to do is see our whole country coming back strongly together, and that’s what we’re going to do.” Together, perhaps, but not with Scotland’s leader. For his first trip to Scotland this year, Johnson chose a sparsely populated group of islands hundreds of miles from the seat of Scottish political power in Edinburgh; he did not meet with Scotland’s top elected official, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon. That may be for good reason. Though Scotland has suffered badly from Covid-19, Sturgeon’s popularity has surged, largely as she has steered a more cautious approach out of the pandemic than her English counterparts. Support for Sturgeon’s ultimate political goal, Scottish independence from England, is also on the up. Johnson’s personal ratings, meanwhile, have taken a hit, as the messaging around reopening south of the Scottish border has been more haphazard. His visit to Scotland was an attempt… Read full this story
- FCS review: Separate ways to success
- Brooks Koepka in four-way tie for lead, Top 3 miss cut in U.S. Open second round
- Dustin Johnson, Alex Noren part of 6-way tie for lead at Players
- Palmer scores 19, leads Huskers in 72-52 rout of Michigan
- A foretaste of the All Blacks? How Scotland broke down the England defence at Murrayfield
- Six Nations 2018: Finn Russell redeemed as Scotland seals rare win over England
- Is the World Cup over for England?
- Those days will never be bettered, says former Scotland star John Collins as he reflects on France 98
- Do England have what it takes to topple the All Blacks?
- Fixing England after their Rugby World Cup disaster
England and Scotland went separate ways on Covid-19. It may lead to a full divorce have 320 words, post on edition.cnn.com at July 25, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.