Desperate Indian families searching for remdesivir are paying excessive sums to black market dealers. A BBC investigation has found that two life-saving drugs used to treat Covid-19 patients in India – remdesivir and tocilizumab – are in short supply and being sold for excessive rates on a thriving black market. Vikas Pandey reports from the capital Delhi. Abhinav Sharma’s uncle had very high fever and difficulty breathing when he was admitted to a hospital in Delhi. He tested positive for coronavirus and doctors told the family to get remdesivir – an antiviral drug that’s been approved in India for clinical trial and also under “emergency use authorisation”, meaning doctors can prescribe it on compassionate grounds. But procuring it proved an impossible task – remdesivir did not seem to be available anywhere. Mr Sharma desperately called people to arrange for the drug as his uncle’s condition deteriorated by the hour. “I had tears in my eyes. My uncle was fighting for his life and I was struggling to arrange the medicine that could possibly save him,” he said. “After dozens of calls, I paid seven times the price to get the medicine. I was willing to pay any price really, but… Read full this story
- India coronavirus: Can the Covid-19 lockdown spark a clean air movement?
- One-and-a-half-month-old baby dies of coronavirus COVID-19 infection at Delhi hospital
- Plasma therapy trial for Covid-19 patients in Delhi soon: Arvind Kejriwal
- COVID-19: IMA to observe 'Black Day' on April 23 over rising attack on doctors, calls for stringent laws
- India's first plasma therapy on coronavirus COVID-19 patient at Delhi's Max hospital
- US agency gives thumbs-down to Donald Trump’s ‘game-changer’ hydroxychloroquine Covid-19 drug combo
- India reports 1383 new Covid-19 cases, 50 deaths in last 24 hours
- Covid-19 Cases in Delhi Mount to 1,640, Death Toll Climbs to 38: Authorities
- Coronavirus New Jersey: COVID-19 Outbreak Stabilizing Overall But South Jersey Has Yet To See Peak, Officials Say
- COVID-19: Drugs with less than 60% shelf life allowed to be imported on condition
India coronavirus: Life-saving Covid-19 drugs sold on Delhi black market have 319 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at July 7, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.