Musician Nguyễn Quang Long is well-known for his devotion in reviving xẩm (blind busker’s singing). Actually, he’s also a researcher of various types of traditional performing arts. He speaks with Minh Thu about the works behind the curtain. MUSIC IN MIND: Nguyễn Quang Long is determined to devote his life to traditional music. Photos courtesy of the artist Inner Sanctum: You really do have a wonderful voice. Why is it that you only perform xẩm and no other types of music? Not many people know that I studied at the Việt Nam Academy of Music, majoring in singing. I was born into a family with a deep passion for traditional music in the northern province of Bắc Giang. My father, Nguyễn Ngọc Tưởng, was a famous quan họ (love duets) singer. I learned quan họ from Meritorious Artists Khánh Hạ and Thanh Hiếu, two famous artists and teachers of quan họ in Bắc Ninh and Bắc Giang Provinces – the cradle of the artform. So during my childhood I nurtured a passion and love for traditional music. I dreamed of being a professional singer, but when I entered university in Hà Nội I found that there are many subjects related… Read full this story
- Classical pianist Hunter Noack reimagines the concert hall in the spectacular outdoors
- Late Motown Hit Songwriter's Daughter, Lisa Dawn Miller, Launches LDM Publishing With Vast Catalogue of Original Music
- Judy Collins & Stephen Stills Rekindle Relationship of the Musical Kind
- In the music spotlight: Chris Stapleton
- Colorado Springs gallery reimagines classical music piece with new paintings by Phil Lear
- $107 million Reimagine Greece project could benefit marching band
- Boston Public Library celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with live music, books
- Indianapolis Zoo reimagines winter Zoolala as Halloween event
- Beer-themed kayak races, pocket neighborhood win Reimagine the Canals competition
- How do schools reimagine “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”?
Rekindling and reimagining a musical artform have 324 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 12, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.