(CNN)A return to campus for the new academic year has colleges and universities struggling to both contain outbreaks of Covid-19 and enforce policies meant to prevent its spread. Across the United States, at least 36 states have reported positive cases at colleges and universities, adding more than 8,700 cases to the country’s tally. More than 5.9 million infections have been recorded in the United States, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. Over 1,000 students have tested positive for Covid-19 at University of Alabama since classes resumed Since classes started on August 19, 1,200 students at the University of Alabama have tested positive for the virus, the university system’s website showed Saturday. Classes at the University of Dayton will continue online for at least two weeks after the school reported 116 case on Thursday and then another 148 on Friday, according to the university’s website. Outbreaks have been identified at four different sororities at Kansas State University, according to news releases from the college and the Riley County Health Department. Providence College in Rhode Island has implemented policies to prevent the virus’ spread, but 17 students have been placed on “interim suspension” for violating those measures, meaning they will not… Read full this story
- Michael Gove warns March is the EARLIEST that brutal new lockdown can start to be eased - and that depends on government managing to vaccinate 13MILLION people in just seven weeks
- Boris Johnson will decide new tiers TONIGHT amid fears he will plunge two-thirds of England into toughest level four tomorrow as SAGE adviser calls for national lockdown to prevent a New Year ‘catastrophe’ and admissions rise in EVERY region
- UK declares record-high 55,892 cases and another 964 deaths as SAGE warns even a brutal lockdown with schools shut for almost ALL children might not be enough to contain 'mutant' Covid amid fears restrictions will last into summer
- Britain will need draconian lockdowns until AT LEAST the summer and Tier 4 rules can't contain new mutant strain, scientists warn as SAGE expert fears national action by end of January is inevitable
- Coronavirus digest: London to close primary schools
- Covid class war: Now Boris Johnson hints secondary pupils won't return until FEBRUARY as unions unite to keep schools SHUT after hundreds of primary heads defied PM by cancelling first day of new term
- Father shares image of his daughter, 5, in hospital with deadly Kawasaki disease and warns against reopening schools - but WHO chief scientist insists there's NO clear link between coronavirus and 'rare' syndrome
- What do the new lockdown rules mean for you? Schools and universities closed, exams set to be cancelled, you can only meet one person outdoors, shielding is back, holidays are barred and take-away alcohol is banned
- Schools could stay shut BEYOND February half-term: Michael Gove says children will 'SUFFER' by being kept at home... but admits ministers will only REVIEW return to classes in six weeks
- How does the Oxford vaccine work? When will it be rolled out? And how many Britons will now be able to get the jab every day? All the answers to your questions as Matt Hancock says 'can get out of this by spring'
Colleges and universities work to control outbreaks as a new school year starts amid coronavirus have 510 words, post on edition.cnn.com at August 30, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.