This story is part of Generation China, CNET’s series exploring the nation’s technological ambition. When Marcy Granger first downloaded TikTok early last year, the 29-year-old Transportation Security Administration officer had no idea that a Chinese company owned the popular short-form video app. Then the TSA barred workers from using TikTok for the agency’s social media engagement because of national security concerns. That’s when Granger learned that the video app belonged to ByteDance, a technology company based in Beijing. CNET Culture Entertain your brain with the coolest news from streaming to superheroes, memes to video games. The revelation didn’t stop Granger, who has racked up more than 166,000 followers on the app, from making TikTok videos. The Denver resident lip-syncs to pop music and posts motivational messages about life and motherhood on the app during her free time. She occasionally wears her TSA uniform at home in her videos but doesn’t give away security details about her job. “It didn’t really scare me too much because some people don’t realize all social media and all data is tracked,” said Granger, who also runs a social media marketing business. TikTok is China’s first global social media hit, capturing the attention of users… Read full this story
- Trump order bans 'security threat' telcos
- Donald Trump bans 'security risk' telecommunications companies
- Cardi B cancels US show because of 'security threat'
- Trump is a threat to the planet, but so are the Democrats
- Trump's security adviser to visit UAE 'this week'
- Trump and Xi Jinping reach deal at G20 to restart US-China talks
- Republican Lawmakers Call on Trump to Drop Mexico Tariff War
- UK and US ‘share same assessment of Iran threat’, says Hunt
- Trump shatters diplomatic etiquette on eve of UK visit
- Trump Threatens Britain: Follow US On China, or No Trade Deal
TikTok: For you, it's fun, but for Trump and lawmakers, it's a security threat have 298 words, post on www.cnet.com at August 6, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.