The Ladima Foundation, a Pan-African non-profit organization supporting women in creative industries and a partner of DW Akademie, launched the “African Women in the Time of Covid-19” Short Film Competition. They called on African women to share their stories about the personal, economic and social impact of Covid-19 in Africa. An overwhelming response saw submissions from just under 200 women from 18 African countries. The majority of entries reflected the theme that more often than not, the pandemic has impacted women harder and in different ways than their male counterparts. The competition ran from June 1 to 21. Following their premiere on the Ladima Foundations Facebook page on July 10, the selected films are now available for viewing on various platforms. The ten selected films were chosen by a panel of expert judges including Cornélia Glele, a journalist, blogger and filmmaker from Benin; Lizelle Bisschoff, a researcher and curator of African film and founder of the Africa in Motion (AiM) Film Festival in Scotland; Nse Ikpe-Etim, a multiple-award-winning Nigerian actor of stage and screen; Professor Martin Mhando, a research fellow with Murdoch University, Western Australia and an award-winning filmmaker; multimedia artist and filmmaker Philippa Ndisi-Herrmann. The following films were selected: “Being”… Read full this story
- Huangling opens third Shaiqiu Cultural Festival with short film competition
- ‘Rafiki’ Film Review: African Gay Romance Breaks New Ground
- This Year's Oscar-Nominated Short Films Are Short on Winners
- The Short Of It: The 2019 Oscar-Nominated Live Action Short Films
- LILI Trailer: #MeToo Horror Short Film From Yfke Van Berckelaer
- VAMPIR: Watch Anya Beyersdorf's Fantastic Short Film Now
- PICK-UPS: Take Six Minutes Out Of Your Day To Watch This Funny Short Film
- This week in art-house cinema: Oscar-nominated short films, opera and 'The Dark Crystal'
- Coming to Richmond: One Day University Short Film Festival
- Watch: Short Films Created Using Artificial Intelligence, Starring 'Silicon Valley's Thomas Middleditch
Short film competition "African Women in the time of COVID-19" have 305 words, post on www.dw.com at October 7, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.