German Health Minister Jens Spahn said on Wednesday he would like to see the European Union “take on responsibility” in regards to the coronavirus outbreak, allocating some of its budget to efforts to control and contain COVID-19. Spahn, a member of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s center-right Christian Democrats, is set to meet with the EU’s health ministers in Brussels on Thursday to discuss the bloc’s response to the outbreak. “And I would also like … the World Health Organization’s request for financial aid to not only be answered by countries, but also that the EU takes on some responsibility with its own budgetary resources,” Spahn said after a briefing of the health committee in the Bundestag, Germany’s parliament. Read more: WHO dubs coronavirus ‘public enemy number 1’ Spahn also said he hoped EU members would ”agree to proceed in a coordinated manner,” though he pointed out that “full coordination” is no longer possible because some EU members, such as Italy, have stopped all air traffic to China. EU Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakides said in Brussels on Wednesday that the EU needs to “respond to this challenge in a closely coordinated and united manner” because “viruses know no borders.” Watch video 03:39 Share A coronavirus evacuee speaks… Read full this story
- German Health Ministry calls for ban on euthanasia drugs
- Sen. Oloriegbe calls for adequate funding of health sector to boost performance
- Former health minister rejoins controversial drug maker's PR agency
- SNP Health Minister admits knowing about child cancer patient death at super-hospital 'linked' to water supply
- Heartbroken mother urges Scottish Health Minister to come clean about daughter's death in 'super-hospital'
- German interior minister 'sorry' for asylum scandal
- German foreign minister says Western Balkan states belong in EU
- German foreign minister pledges support for Venezuelan opposition while in Colombia
- German foreign minister lobbies for refugee higher education
- Congo arrests former health minister for alleged misuse of Ebola funds
Coronavirus: German health minister calls on EU to allocate funds have 317 words, post on www.dw.com at December 2, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.