Namibian President Hage Geingob on Tuesday turned down Germany’s offer of €10 million ($11.7 million) in reparations for the genocide committed by the German Empire at the start of the 20th century. “The current offer for reparations made by the German government remains an outstanding issue and is not acceptable to the Namibian government,” Geingob said in a statement after a briefing on the status of negotiations. He added that the government’s special envoy, Zed Ngavirue, would continue to negotiate for a “revised offer.” Geingob also took exception to Germany’s use of the term “healing the wounds” in place of the word reparations, saying the terminology would be debated further. Watch video 02:25 Share Germany to apologize to Namibia Send Facebook Twitter google+ Whatsapp Tumblr linkedin stumble Digg reddit Newsvine Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3etSc Germany to apologize to Namibia for colonial genocide No apology so far The two countries began negotiating an agreement in 2015 that would see Germany give an official apology and development aid as compensation for the killing of tens of thousands of indigenous Herero and Nama people by German occupiers in 1904-1908. In June, President Geingob suggested that Germany would offer an unreserved apology. However, Berlin is yet to do so, despite acknowledging… Read full this story
- Bill Gates says he bluntly rejected Trump's offer to be his science adviser as 'not a good use of my time'
- Iomega Rejects EMC Buyout Offer
- O2 Germany now offers the Motorola MILESTONE
- Yahoo Rejects Microsoft/Icahn Offer
- Germany’s Die Welt Proclaims Donald Trump ‘Most Successful Climate Protector in the World’
- Germany Announces Family Reunification For Radical Islamic Extremists in ‘Exceptional Cases’
- England, Germany, France Express ‘Regret and Concern’ over Iran Nuclear Deal Withdrawal
- Verizon reportedly tried to buy #2 cable company Charter, was rejected
- SanDisk Rejects $5.8 Bln Samsung Offer
- Oracle rejected Google's damages offer in lawsuit
Namibia rejects Germany's reparations offer for genocide have 311 words, post on www.dw.com at December 8, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.