German lawmakers and religious leaders have condemned vandalism against Jewish synagogues, and the desecration of a memorial for another synagogue destroyed by the Nazis in 1938. All three of the incidents occurred on Tuesday night in the cities of Bonn, Düsseldorf and Münster in the western state of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW). The incidents were reportedly motivated by the current violence in Israel and Gaza . Police in Münster say they dispatched officers to a synagogue after receiving calls from witnesses who said that a group of “about 15 Arab-looking men” were gathered near the building yelling loudly and burning an Israeli flag. Officers say the building itself was not damaged and 13 men had been charged with holding an illegal gathering. In Bonn, three men between the ages of 20 and 24 were detained and admitted to burning an Israeli flag , as well as throwing rocks at a synagogue’s windows, because they were upset about the events in Israel. In Düsseldorf, police said a fire was lit on top of a stone memorial for a synagogue destroyed by Nazis during the infamous Kristallnacht , or Night of Broken Glass, in November of 1938. Religious leaders call for solidarity with the Jewish people Josef Schuster, president of… Read full this story
- "Shocking and abhorrent act of hate": NYC mayor condemns synagogue attack in Brooklyn
- Did Vandals Steal Gandhi’s Ashes From an Indian Memorial?
- Pa. Muslim leaders react to mosque terror attack: ‘A lot of sadness and a lot of fear in the community'
- Colorado Springs Muslims, Jews and Christians hold public event to grieve, condemn New Zealand attacks
- Colorado Springs Muslims, Jews and Christians to hold public event to grieve, condemn New Zealand attacks
- Religious freedom on death row: How a new lawsuit affects a growing debate
- Ilhan Omar hijab comments by host Jeanine Pirro condemned by Fox News
- World Condemns Terrorist Attacks on New Zealand Mosques
- Harry Reid to lead Las Vegas forum to condemn anti-Semitism
- US House Democrats Struggling over Rebuke to Lawmaker for Israel Comments
Germany: Synagogue vandalism condemned by lawmakers, religious leaders have 327 words, post on www.dw.com at January 12, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.