Ministers are facing demands to add more countries to the UK’s ‘red list’ amid growing fears over the threat of importing mutant coronavirus strains. The government moved to toughen the border regime last week, announcing that the ban on travellers from more than 30 ‘hotspot’ countries will be expanded so returning Britons and the few other exempt individuals will have to go into ‘quarantine hotels’ at their own expense for 10 days. But the plan has been the subject of an extraordinary Cabinet tussle, with Priti Patel and Matt Hancock among those pushing for even tougher action. And the rules forcing all arrivals from the ‘red list’ countries – including South Africa, much of South America and Portugal – to isolate in hotels at their own expense are still thought to be weeks from implementation. Officials have admitted there are serious logistical issues to the policy, including setting up enough accommodation for the arrivals and making sure it can be guarded. The delay comes amid rising fears that the South African variant is already loose in the UK, and other more potent mutant strains could lessen the effectiveness of the vaccine drive. Senior Tories have joined Labour in calling for… Read full this story
- Brexit: All you need to know about the UK leaving the EU
- Macron slaps down Tusk's Brexit 'flextension' plan for the UK
- Tusk tells EU to give UK a 12-month Brexit delay
- What would life in a 'no-deal' Brexit UK look like?
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on December 9, 2018
- Pentagon fears divided Congress could produce worst-case budget scenario
- Railing Against India’s Right-Wing Nationalism Was a Calling. It Was Also a Death Sentence.
- Brexit, U.S. Border, India: Your Monday Briefing
- “The Son of a Bitch Is Going to Run”: What Kennedy vs. Carter Can Teach Trump
- Putin-backed troops quietly move a border on the fringes of Europe
Ministers face calls to add MORE countries to UK borders 'red list' amid fears over importing mutant Covid strains - with alarm that 'quarantine hotels' system still won't be up and running for WEEKS have 304 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at February 2, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.