BOSTON: Private equity firms are proving there's still plenty of profit in the U.S. coal industry despite a decade of falling demand for the fossil fuel. They are spending billions of dollars buying coal-fired plants on the cheap: and getting paid even when they are not providing power. Since the end of 2014, at least five U.S. private equity firms have bought coal plants in markets where regulators pay them to be on standby to provide emergency power when demand surges with extreme hot or cold weather, according to a Reuters review of U.S. regulatory disclosures and credit-rating agency reports. The lucrative investments illustrate how fossil fuels will remain an important part of the energy mix – and continue spinning off cash for investors – even years after demand for them peaks as the world transitions toward cleaner energy sources. The need for reserve power was on display during the utility crisis this month in Texas – the only U.S. grid system that operates without such an emergency system. A cold snap knocked out several of the state's generating plants and triggered widespread blackouts, leaving a wake of human suffering including several dozen deaths. The so-called capacity payments are given… Read full this story
- Elizabeth Warren's hypocritical and foolish attack on private equity
- Progressive Democrats ramp up attacks on private equity
- Vodafone shareholders vote for £51bn Verizon cash and shares bonanza
- Cannabis industry growing pains lead MedMen to ditch Arizona
- Top 25 Baseball Stories of the Decade — No. 3: Baseball teams become cash cows
- Coal in decline: an energy industry on life support
- Musk reveals one driver behind taking-Tesla-private plan
- Tesla public or Tesla private. Which way forward?
- Meetup was a darling of the tech industry. But can it survive WeWork?
- Arming private guards good for tackling insecurity if done well
How private equity squeezes cash from the dying US coal industry have 296 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.