Wisconsin Republicans on Monday introduced legislation which would force the state’s incarcerated prison population to pay restitution with any money they might receive from President Joe Biden ‘s $1.9 trillion stimulus relief package. State Representative Joe Sanfelippo, one of the Republicans who introduced the legislation, said the proposed bill is part of a wider move to curb “wasteful” spending included in the relief package. The GOP lawmaker issued a statement to the Associated Press Monday deriding Biden’s “irresponsible stimulus package which sends stimulus checks to imprisoned murderers, rapists, and child molesters.” Wisconsin GOP state senator Julian Bradley, who has promoted several “defend police” campaigns alongside Sanfelippo and co-sponsored the restitution bill, described it as a “common sense” piece of legislation. “So, Rep. Sanfelippo and I are taking action to ensure the victims of these heinous crimes are paid restitution before criminals sitting in prison can profit,” Bradley said in an email to the AP Monday. Despite the GOP efforts to reduce the prisoners’ potential relief payments, several inmates in the vastly overcrowded state corrections facilities say they were not aptly protected from the virus. An investigative local report revealed prisoners saying COVID-19 “ran rampant” systemwide, infecting at least 10,873 inmates… Read full this story
- Wisconsin Senate signs off on crime bill that could increase taxpayer costs by $57 million
- POLITICO Playbook: GOP frets as Trump world implodes
- Farm that hired Cristhian Rivera, Mollie Tibbetts' suspected killer, did not use E-Verify system, official says
- TRANSCRIPT: Bernie Sanders meets with the Daily News Editorial Board, April 1, 2016
- POLITICO Playbook: It’s 2010 all over again
- POLITICO Playbook: Trump mulls a pre-election shutdown with Rush, and a pre-election anti-Pelosi ad
- State Patrol accident reconstruction team searches for answers
- POLITICO Playbook: Republicans’ dueling political pictures
- My Dad Killed 2 People When I Was 15. Here's Why I'm Finally Ready To Make Peace With Him.
- POLITICO Playbook: All eyes on Ohio
Wisconsin GOP Say Biden 'Sending Stimulus Checks to Imprisoned Murderers,' Demand Restitution have 304 words, post on www.newsweek.com at March 15, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.