The new crop of films that screened at the Sundance and Berlin film festivals are evidence that the global pandemic is having an impact on the stories filmmakers want to tell: “The pandemic has just exposed and revealed so many issues that were in our society.” The coronavirus pandemic has obviously changed how movies are being made, with the extra costs involved in testing and implementing strict hygienic regimes, and the constant threat hanging over every shoot that a local outbreak or lockdown could shut things down. But what impact has the once-in-a-lifetime, global experience of the Corona crisis had on what stories filmmakers want to tell? The Sundance and Berlin film festivals provided a glimpse at the first crop of films either shot or edited — or both — during the pandemic. While some — such as Nanfu Wang’s Sundance doc In the Same Breath and Ben Wheatley’s viral isolation thriller In the Earth — directly reference the outbreak, all in some ways bear the mark of COVID-19. “We didn’t select any documentaries about the pandemic or any fictional treatments of it, though some were submitted, because we found there wasn’t enough distance between the storytelling and what we… Read full this story
- Coronavirus FINALLY has a name: World health chiefs label the deadly SARS-like disease 'COVID-19' - six weeks after the outbreak that has killed more than 1,000 people began
- Vietnam reports 16th case of COVID-19 infection
- COVID-19: How Fake News Could Help Spread the Coronavirus
- Japan reports first COVID-19 death to take global total to 1,710
- Coronavirus crisis: UK's biggest drugmaker warns of COVID-19 impact
- As COVID-19 coronavirus fears persist, what implications does the China travel ban have for Australia?
- Hubei reports nearly 15,000 new COVID-19 cases after broadening definition for infections
- China sees rising recovery rate of COVID-19 patients
- China's Hubei province reports 242 COVID-19 coronavirus deaths and 14,840 new cases
- Coronavirus: China’s 17 day delay in releasing genome sequence of COVID-19
Berlin: How COVID-19 Has Changed Onscreen Storytelling have 315 words, post on www.hollywoodreporter.com at May 3, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.