In brief: We've come a long way since solid-state drives were the expensive alternative to traditional HDDs, making up only a small part of the market. Falling prices and increasing capacities have seen their popularity rise in recent times, to the point that in Q1 2021, SSD shipments outpaced their hard disk drive counterparts by 3:2, while in 2020, SSDs saw 28% more unit sales than HDDs. According to a Trendfocus report (via Tom's Hardware ), three hard drive makers shipped as many as 64.17 million HDDs in Q1 2021, while fewer than a dozen SSD suppliers shipped 99.438 million SSDs during the same period. We all know the typical speed and physical size advantages that come with SSDs, so the figures aren't too surprising; a recent IDC report revealed that nearly 60% of new PCs shipped in Q1 used SSDs. The trend of SSDs outselling HDDs isn't new. A jump in fourth-quarter sales last year helped SSDs push past 333 million units for the entirety of 2020, moving ahead of the 260 million HDD units sold. One area where HDDs have an advantage, of course, is their superior $/gigabyte ratio, which makes them ideal for enterprise solutions. And while… Read full this story
- Upgrading to an SSD is a Great Idea but Spinning Hard Drives are Still Better for Storing Data (for Now)
- Pure Storage Helps Companies Reach Artificial-Intelligence Goals
- Danica Patrick on her last race, the Indy 500 that got away, and why she can win
- 'My wife said she never asked for much, so it was hard to refuse her'
- Apple races to become first $1 trillion company, but Amazon could surge from behind
- South Milwaukee woman leads police on 100 mph chase May 10
- Micron and Intel unveil industry's first quad-level-cell NAND flash chips
- ET Memorial Day Deals: Dell 27-inch 144Hz 1440p Monitor for $400, 65-inch Vizio for $600, and more
- Geek Memorial Day Deals: iPad Mini 4 for $300, Apple Watch for $149, and more
- Riding 30 mph go-karts at sea? NCL strives for high-energy fun with its new cruise ship
SSD shipments outpaced HDDs by 3:2 last quarter, but hard disks still lead the storage race have 325 words, post on www.techspot.com at May 24, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.