Members of Reddit's WallStreetBets forum were targeted in a probable cryptocurrency scam that could have left its victims with at least US$2mil (RM8.23mil) in losses. Using the Telegram messaging service, an account called "WallStreetBets – Crypto Pumps" offered users the chance to buy a new token known as WSB Finance before it was listed on crypto exchanges, in what is referred to as a pre-mine sale. The account isn't affiliated with the infamous stock message board. Conditions are ripe for coaxing buyers to send money, no questions asked, with the promise of cashing in on the latest cryptocurrency boom. So-called alt-coins are posting daily gains that can exceed 1,000% and there are few obstacles to stop nefarious individuals creating tokens to pitch as the next hot thing in the digital investing frontier. The account running the sale told users to send Binance Coin, known as BNB, or Ether to a cryptocurrency wallet and then to contact its "token bot" on Telegram to receive WSB Finance coins. Those coins were never delivered. A second message then went out on Telegram telling those that had already sent payment that because of a problem with the bot, they'd have to send an equal… Read full this story
- Scam using fake ABC News stories about Andrew Forrest sees woman fleeced of $670,000
- Hong Kong protesters warn of Telegram feature that can disclose their identities
- The cyber pirates of the Caribbean responsible for online fraud that robs Australians of millions
- Disinformation For Hire: How A New Breed Of PR Firms Is Selling Lies Online
- This Is How We Radicalized The World
WallStreetBets forum members targeted in Telegram cryptocurrency scam have 272 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at May 5, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.