A month after his resignation from the Rajya Sabha to contest the West Bengal elections on BJP ticket, Swapan Dasgupta was renominated to the House by President Ramnath Kovind to fill the seat that fell vacant due to his resignation for his remainder term till April next. Mr. Dasgupta lost the Tarkeshwar constituency to his TMC rival, Ramendu Sinharay, by margin of over 7,000 votes. He was forced to resign from the Rajya Sabha ahead of the polls after the TMC forced legal action since a nominated member cannot contest on any party ticket while continuing to hold the post in the House. TMC chief whip in the Rajya Sabha Sukhendu Sekhar Ray told The Hindu, "I do not think it has ever happened in the history of the Rajya Sabha that a person who resigned just a month back is renominated by the President of India. The government is setting a bad precedent here by throwing all parliamentary norms out of the window." Mr. Ray termed it a shameful act. "He was sent to West Bengal, protected as a leader of the BJP. After losing the battle now, he is being rehabilitated by the backdoor. The BJP, it seems,… Read full this story
- KV Kamath, Swapan Dasgupta likely to be inducted into Union Cabinet: Report
- Attempt to interrupt BJP MP Swapan Dasgupta’s session at Kolkata literary meet foiled
- BJP had not expected such a strong, sustained resistance to CAA, NRC: Swapan Dasgupta
- KV Kamath, Swapan Dasgupta likely to be inducted in Modi govt
- BJP confident of Citizenship Bill's passage in Rajya Sabha
- Kamath, Dasgupta likely to be inducted in Modi govt
- Narayan Rane warns Sanjay Raut; says 'Your tongue won't remain intact'
- Beef delicacy tweet kicks up row; Kerala govt says no aim to hurt anyone's religious beliefs
- CAA protests: 16 people, including 8-year-old, killed in UP violence
- Centre appoints Nripendra Mishra as chairman of Nehru museum council, MJ Akbar out
Swapan Dasgupta back in Rajya Sabha; shameful, says TMC have 315 words, post on www.thehindu.com at June 1, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.