A federal freeze on most evictions that was enacted last year is scheduled to expire Saturday, after the Biden administration extended the original date by a month. The moratorium put in place by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in September has been the only tool keeping millions of tenants in their homes. Many of them lost jobs during the coronavirus pandemic and have fallen months behind on their rent. Landlords successfully challenged the order in court, arguing that they also had bills to pay. They pointed out that tenants could access nearly $47 billion in federal money set aside to help pay rents and related expenses. Advocates for tenants said the distribution of the money had been slow and that more time was needed to distribute it and repay landlords. Without an extension, they feared a spike in evictions and lawsuits seeking to oust tenants who were behind on their rents. Even with the delay, roughly 3.6 million people in the U.S. as of July 5 said they would face eviction within the next two months, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Household Pulse Survey. The survey measures the social and economic effects of the pandemic every two… Read full this story
- College football: Did Iowa State end Will Grier's Heisman Campaign?
- ‘Big Brother’ Spoilers: Pre-Filmed Eviction Results And Wild HoH Nominations
- We need to protect at-risk renters in Denver from an eviction crisis
- 'Big Brother' Spoilers: Live Feed Blackout And Early Eviction Tuesday
- Iowa football #PaintedTower mailbag: Hello, Wisconsin!
- Iowa football #PaintedTower Mailbag: Let's go down the QB completion percentage wormhole
- Iowa 48, Minnesota 31: Hawkeyes put a beeping on the Gophers
- Stat Pak: Linebacker depth, turnovers still a test for Iowa
- Pres. Trump to talk ethanol, boost candidates at Iowa rally
- Federal Court Strikes Down California Law That Bans Handgun Signs, Advertising by Gun Dealers
EXPLAINER: More evictions expected in Iowa after ban ends have 301 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at July 30, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.