Rugby League World Cup organisers say they are in talks with New Zealand Māori and Australian Indigenous teams about potentially taking the place of the Kiwis and Kangaroos in the 2021 men's tournament in England. The New Zealand Rugby League and the Australian Rugby League Commission withdrew from the World Cup last week, citing player welfare and safety concerns f ollowing the Covid-19 pandemic. 1 NEWS Kidwell told media in 2020 that, while he and his players are fiercely proud of the bilingual New Zealand anthem, they are also aware of the concerns their indigenous opponents have about their anthem. Since then, Australian Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) president and incumbent Kangaroos captain Daly Cherry-Evans said the players wanted to play and were disappointed they had not been consulted. The World Cup remains in jeopardy, but talks have been held between RLPA officials and World Cup organisers, who originally planned to stage men's, women's and wheelchair tournaments. READ MORE: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has played final game for Warriors, returning to New Zealand ‘Not about the white flag’: Nathan Brown denies Roger Tuivasa-Sheck release means Warriors have given up Players wanted to play Rugby League World Cup, claims Australia captain Daly Cherry-Evans… Read full this story
- David Pocock set to retire from test rugby after World Cup
- Australia's best national team counts down to T20 World Cup
- Sam Burgess wants out as World Cup final cross-code duo Sonny Bill Williams and Israel Folau show England what might have been
- George Ford: England will be ready for 'dangerous' Australia in Rugby World Cup quarter-finals
- Rugby World Cup: England vs Australia and New Zealand vs Ireland in quarter-finals
- How All Blacks overcame sex and domestic violence scandals on rocky road to Rugby World Cup semi-final with England
- Rugby World Cup 2019: All the Favorites Ranked and Format Explained
- Rugby World Cup’s Asian legacy hinges on representation
- England's 2003 Rugby World Cup-winning squad - where are they now?
- Top quotes from the Rugby World Cup
Māori and Australian Indigenous teams in talks about playing in Rugby League World Cup have 325 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at July 29, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.