Deji LaRay remembered when television shows like "Sex in the City" and "Insecure" captured the essence of friendships among women, but then realized there was hardly any male-driven stories being told in the same manner. LaRay saw a lack of shows from the perspective of Black men and decided to create his own. He teamed up with retired NFL running back-turned-actor Thomas Q. Jones to develop the new series "Johnson," which premieres Sunday on Bounce TV. Cedric the Entertainer, star of "The Neighborhood" on CBS is a co-executive producer. The series revolves around four lifelong friends — all sharing the same last name Johnson but not related. The lead characters are specifically written from the Black male point-of-view to explain why men make certain decisions that revolve around friendships, love and heartbreak. LaRay said he wanted to insert "real, heartfelt and honest" conversations that men would have in the man cave or pool hall. "I felt like it was time to tell a story about men that I knew," said LaRay, who played roles in " Bosch " "Age of the Living Dead" and "Greenleaf." The actor chose the show's title because the surname Johnson is one of the most… Read full this story
- Danai Gurira on how 'Black Panther' challenges the conventions of femininity
- T-Shirt Tuesday: The Best Black Panther Shirts
- Male stars will also wear black to the Golden Globes to highlight sexual misconduct problems in Hollywood
- Life with the Black Panthers
- Every Movie Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Has Made, From Best to Worst
- Beyond 'Black Panther': A brief history of Afrofuturism
- 'Black Panther' builds a world you'll want to return to again and again
- Everything you need to know before watching 'Black Panther'
- 'Black Panther' just had the biggest box office debut ever for a Marvel solo movie
- Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Pokes Fun at His ‘Chunky’ Football Days
TV show 'Johnson' takes glimpse into Black male perspective have 320 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at July 30, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.