Halle Berry, in some form or another, has been fighting her whole life. Be it for coveted movie roles, on behalf of victims of domestic violence like herself, or against a perception that her physical beauty has insulated her from struggle, she has always seen herself as an underdog. And now, in her first film as a director, she has cast herself as one, too. In "Bruised" (premiering theatrically Nov. 17 before moving to Netflix a week later), Berry stars as Jackie Justice, a humiliated mixed martial arts fighter desperate to stage a comeback. It is her most physically demanding role: Now 55, she had to train four to six hours a day to learn boxing, Muay Thai, judo and jujitsu, as well as brush up on the capoeira skills she used in "Catwoman." Then, she'd spend the rest of the day in director mode: scouting locations in Newark, developing a script initially centered on a 20-something Irish Catholic white woman, blocking elaborate fight scenes, and collaborating with her intergenerational cast of actors. For any first-time filmmaker, that combination alone is a feat. Yet, with Justice, Berry plays one of her most complicated characters: In addition to being a former… Read full this story
- UFC chief Dana White to let FAN pick fighters to face each other and hang out with Halle Berry in coronavirus fundraiser
- Hollywood star Halle Berry suffers broken bones after training with UFC ace Valentina Shevchenko for movie
- Halle Berry admits that homeschooling her two children during quarantine has been a complete 'nightmare'
- Watch Margot Robbie, Halle Berry and More A-List Ladies Join Instagram Fight Club
- Scarlett Johansson, Halle Berry and other stars take part in epic virtual "fight"
- Halle Berry had to SHAVE daughter Nahla's head after daily swimming left 12-year-old's hair 'like matted fur'
- Halle Berry goes hell for leather in biker jacket as she takes her Duke motorbike for a spin in Malibu
- Halle Berry Reveals Pierce Brosnan Saved Her From Choking On James Bond Set
- Halle Berry Reveals Pierce Brosnan Saved Her Life On James Bond Set
- Halle Berry Says Bond Star Pierce Brosnan Saved Her Life While Making Die Another Day
Halle Berry’s Fight for the Director’s Chair have 356 words, post on www.nytimes.com at September 15, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.