Thousands of children have died in church-run homes for unmarried women and their babies during the 20th century in Ireland, a report published by an independent commission on Tuesday said. “About 9,000 children died in the institutions under investigation — approximately 15% of all the children who were in the institutions,” said a final report of an inquiry into the mother-and-baby homes. The report said the children died in 18 different church-run facilities. Major causes of death included respiratory infections and gastroenteritis, otherwise known as the stomach flu. The report is part of an investigation into abuses in church-run institutions, including the shunning and shaming of unwed mothers, many of whom were pressured into giving up babies for adoption. It looked at 14 mother-and-baby homes and four county homes between the years 1922 and 1998, according to Irish broadcaster RTE. ‘No public concern’ The “the very high mortality rates were known to local and national authorities at the time and were recorded in official publications,” the report said, adding that “there is no evidence of public concern being expressed about conditions in mother-and-baby homes or about the appalling mortality among the children born in these homes, even though many of… Read full this story
- Dem Sen. Heinrich: Mueller Report ‘Finds Plenty of Evidence’ to Support Obstruction Charge
- At least 70 babies summoned to immigration court in past nine months, report finds
- Pennsylvania grand jury report finds more than 300 'predator priests' sexually abused children
- Mexican Border State Journalist Beaten to Death in Her Home
- Children and pets influence home buying decisions
- Mom opens up about daughter's death as report finds patients skip insulin due to high cost
- Special prosecutor report finds wrongfully convicted cop killer Alfred Brown 'actually innocent'
- US Weapons Systems Are Easy Cyberattack Targets, New Report Finds
- Woman’s death in Richmond home investigated as homicide
- Report finds home security companies using scare tactics to scam homeowners
Ireland: 9,000 children deaths in church-run homes, report finds have 309 words, post on www.dw.com at December 1, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.