O N DECEMBER 29TH Britain recorded 246,215 cases of covid-19, a number more than three times higher than the previous peak, a year ago. If Britain's level of immunity was the same as in the winter of 2020, when almost no one had been vaccinated, this number of cases would constitute a new order of disaster. Many thousands of people would be dying every day. But thanks to vaccination, they are not. The share who die after testing positive for covid-19 is now roughly a twentieth of what it was last winter. Enjoy more audio and podcasts on iOS Android . It is against this backdrop that the government is considering when to stop providing free lateral-flow tests to the public, a policy which has cost more than £6bn ($8.2bn) to date. Faced with public outrage it recently wobbled, but that the supply will soon end is not in doubt. The timing, however, is thorny. The NHS is stretched thin. Scientists and public-health experts worry that high caseloads will leave large numbers of people with the post-viral conditions collectively known as long covid, and that ending free tests would give the virus a boost. Some people have grown used to… Read full this story
- Logical reasoning books to check out for scoring well in competitive exams
- Orion in crisis: Damning GAO report slams Nasa plan for capsule that could take man to Mars as unrealistic and having 'logic errors'
- Significant experience with new truck generation in Scania test & drive event
- There is actually a logical explanation for why there is an Olympic sport that combines cross-country skiing and guns
- How the federal budget could tweak the mortgage stress test
- Flying taxis tested in New Zealand
- Pharma giant Merck opens $20m testing lab in Singapore
- Google guru Page tests flying taxis in New Zealand
- We taste-tested grilled-chicken sandwiches from all the major fast-food chains — and the winner is unmistakable
- What's new in business news: April 30, 2014
Omicron and the logic of testing have 315 words, post on www.economist.com at January 15, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.