Home Art culture Art Culture on January 8, 2022 Bahamian-American actor, film director, activist and ambassador Sidney Poitier, known for his groundbreaking acting work in the 1950s and 1960s, has died at the age of 94, the Bahamian Foreign Ministry confirmed on Friday, January 7 He was one of the last surviving stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood cinema. Before he took on his landmark role in Norman Jewison’s 1967 film “In the Heat of the Night,” he had already been in front of the camera for 17 years. By then, he had appeared in 25 films, including his breakthrough performances in “The Defiant Ones” (1958), “Porgy and Bess” (1959) and “Paris Blues” (1961), all multiple award-winning films. Still, “In the Heat of the Night” can be seen as the artist’s legacy. Not only because of Poitier’s outstanding performance in the role of detective Virgil Tibbs, but also because the Southern US drama was a terrific cinematic support for the civil rights movement that had formed in the country since the late 1950s. Through the racist swamp The story of the film is set in a small town in the state of Mississippi, where a wealthy investor is murdered…. Read full this story
- Every Black actor nominated for an Oscar
- When Co-Stars Compete at the Oscars, Who Wins?
- Joe Biden Praises Gay Actor Billy Porter's Emmy Award Win
- Oscars 2019: Rami Malek wins best actor award for Bohemian Rhapsody
- Legendary Hollywood Actor Kirk Douglas Passes Away At 103
- Greek hero of Việt Nam People's Armed Forces passes away
- New milestone for Sidney Poitier: namesake of a film school
- ‘Nomadland’ Makes History, and Anthony Hopkins, in Upset, Wins Best Actor
- ‘Parasite’ invades Oscars race with stunning SAG award win
- Anthony Hopkins | BAFTA 2021: 'Nomadland' bags four awards including best picture, director, Anthony Hopkin wins best actor trophy
Oscar Award-Winning Black Actor And Activist Sidney Poitier Passes Away At 94: Life And Times have 293 words, post on www.boldsky.com at January 8, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.