Evening briefing: Today’s essential headlines Analysis | Major conflict in Ukraine ‘only a small miscalculation away’ ‘Horrific’ crime | Man arrested on suspicion of murdering woman, 86 Former Pope Benedict | He ‘failed to act’ in four child abuse cases Pig kidneys | First successful transplant into a human body Stranded dog | Pet returns after rescuers dangle sausage from drone The big story: No 10 accused of blackmailing rebel MPs This morning it seemed like Boris Johnson had temporarily weathered the storm triggered by the “pork pie plot”. Yet today Number 10 faces accusations of blackmail from a Tory MP . William Wragg, the chairman of the public administration and constitutional affairs committee, claimed several Tories who oppose Mr Johnson had been subjected to “pressures and intimidation” in the wake of the Downing Street party scandal. He also alleged that Downing Street staff, special advisers and government ministers had sought to encourage “embarrassing” stories in the media about those who no longer back the Johnson premiership. In a Commons statement, the Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, said Government whips and special advisers are “not above the criminal law”. Mr Johnson said he had seen “no evidence to support any of… Read full this story
- Tory MP David Davis accuses 'over-controlling' Public Health England of not being fit for purpose and getting 'every single task' WRONG in Covid-19 crisis amid mounting pressure on PM to scrap the agency over 'sluggish' response
- Ex-Labour shadow minister Eric Joyce - who quit the party after head-butting two Tory MPs in Commons bar bust-up - faces jail after admitting he had ‘spam’ child porn film involving baby
- Tory MPs call for end to 'immoral' surcharge for migrant health workers
- Russia offered Taliban-linked fighters bounties to attack British troops - as senior Tory MP seeks answers
- Brexit UK news LIVE: Boris Johnson says no-deal is a ‘very good option’ as negotiations delay and pound value plummets
- Former environment minister Theresa Villiers is axed from intelligence committee 'after defying Tory whip over allowing chlorinated chicken into the UK'
- Mum's fury at Dominic Cummings after daughter had to give cancer news on FaceTime
- UK's antibody testing fiasco exposed: Study shows PHE's coronavirus test misses up to a THIRD of positive results, the Department of Health has cancelled orders worth £70MILLION and firm given £1m by officials made a test that missed 'challenging' standard
- Dismay as No 10 adviser is chosen to set up UK race inequality commission
- Yeo under pressure to quit climate post: Tory criticised over income from green companies
Thursday evening UK news briefing: No 10 accused of blackmailing rebel Tory MPs have 405 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at January 20, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.