This is a carousel. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate 6 WASHINGTON (AP) — The House committee investigating the Capitol riot plans to focus its hearing Thursday on the pressure that Donald Trump put on his vice president, Mike Pence, in a last-ditch and potentially illegal plan to stop Joe Biden's election victory. Trump seized on the unorthodox proposal from conservative law professor John Eastman to have Pence turn back the electors when the vice president presided over Congress to certify the election results on Jan. 6, 2021. Traditionally, Jan. 6 is a ceremonial day, a procedural step tallying the presidential vote. But Eastman's highly unusual plan — "bold," he called it — was to have alternative slates of electors submitted to Congress, leaving Pence no choice but to return them to the states to sort it out. Biden would be denied a majority and Trump could win. As the defeated Trump watched dozens of court cases challenging the 2020 presidential election collapse, he turned to the Eastman plan as a last resort to stay in office. "John (Eastman) is one of the most brilliant lawyers in the country and he looked at this," Trump told thousands of supporters… Read full this story
- Chiefs' Tyrann Mathieu, Anthony Hitchens explain plan to stop Titans bulldozer Derrick Henry
- Pence to visit Iowa days before caucuses
- My Private Oval Office Press Conference With Donald Trump, Mike Pence, John Kelly, and Mike Pompeo
- Biden Lays out Extreme Immigration Position: Amnesties, Handouts, and Only Felons Get Deported
- Elizabeth Warren REFUSES to shake hands with Bernie Sanders after they clash at 2020 debate over claim he said a woman can't win the presidency and she says: 'Look at the men. They lost 10 elections!'
- 'I thought a woman could win. He disagreed': Elizabeth Warren doubles down on feud with Bernie Sanders and confirms he told her a female candidate COULDN'T win
- Bernie Sanders' feud with Elizabeth Warren erupts into open warfare with claims he told her in 2018 that a woman COULDN'T win
- Trump doesn't want to face another woman, claims Elizabeth Warren as she swings back at the president's prediction that Biden, Beto, Bernie or Buttigieg will survive to challenge him
- Biden Refuses To Apologize For Mass Deportations Under Obama. But He Might Still Win Over Latinos In Nevada
- The Case for Biden’s ‘Electability’ Fades Under Scrutiny
EXPLAINER: The last-ditch plan to have Pence stop Biden win have 383 words, post on www.chron.com at June 15, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.