(CTN NEWS) – KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia – Anwar Ibrahim, a longtime opposition leader in Malaysia, was elected prime minister by the country's king on Thursday. At 5 p.m. (0900 GMT), Anwar Ibrahim will be sworn in as prime minister, ending an unprecedented five-day post-election crisis. Anwar Ibrahim's selection marks the culmination of a three-decade political career that saw him go from Mahathir Mohamad's pupil to protest leader, a prisoner convicted of sodomy, opposition leader, and now prime minister. Following the resolution of the political impasse, markets soared. Stocks (.KLSE) climbed 3%, while the ringgit currency had its best day in two weeks. Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim was sworn in as Malaysia's 10th prime minister on Thursday. PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM ASTRO AWANI/YOUTUBE A historic hung parliament resulted from the general election on Saturday, with neither of the two main alliances—one led by Anwar Ibrahim. And the other by former premier Muhyiddin Yassin—winning enough members in the house to form a government right away. Anwar, 75, has repeatedly come close to winning the leadership over the years. He served as deputy prime minister in the 1990s and as the formal prime minister-in-waiting in 2018. He was imprisoned for nearly a decade in… Read full this story
- Malaysia has new prime minister
- Who is Sri Lanka’s new Prime Minister Dinesh Gunawardena?
- Sri Lankan prime minister sworn in as president after predecessor’s resignation
- Protesters storm office of Sri Lanka's prime minister as leader flees the country
- Dinesh Gunawardena sworn in as Sri Lanka Prime Minister
- Shinzo Abe, dominant prime minister of postwar Japan who pushed through radical ‘Abenomics’ – obituary
- Boris Johnson quits as UK Prime Minister
- Dinesh Gunawardena Appointed Sri Lanka Prime Minister
- Speaker appoints Prime Minister Wickremesinghe as Lanka's acting president
- Sri Lankan prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe appointed as acting president
Anwar Ibrahim Appointed As Malaysia’s Prime Minister After Decades have 297 words, post on www.chiangraitimes.com at November 24, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.