Jati Satrio (360info) Jakarta ● Wed, November 9, 2022 2022-11-09 08:56 0 c5899ceba9df082b5eba6392e514c8d9 2 Academia pandemic,health,diplomacy,vaccine,COVID-19 Free China and Japan are seen as two of Asia's biggest political heavyweights competing for influence in Southeast Asia. The COVID-19 pandemic has heightened the rivalry between these two countries. Both view health diplomacy as an essential tool to serve and strengthen their political interests in the region. A recent survey report revealed Japan remains the most trusted major power among Southeast Asians. A total of 1,677 respondents from ten Southeast Asian countries took part in the survey. More than half (54.2 percent) of the respondents expressed confidence in Japan's trustworthiness to provide for the global public. However, 58.1 percent of the respondents expressed distrust towards China and nearly 50 percent feared it could use economic and military power to strengthen its interest and sovereignty. Great power rivalry in Southeast Asia has often resulted in hedging behaviour , a strategic move where smaller Southeast Asian countries balance relations with both sides in a diplomatic tussle to ensure whoever comes out on top remains a possible ally. The pandemic has ignited this behaviour. Southeast Asian countries have received vaccines from both China and the… Read full this story
- Human migration is a pressing public health issue, report says
- China Complains: ‘Nationalism’ Making Asia Wary of One Belt, One Road
- Next-Wave LNG Race Hits Hurdles In US-China Trade War
- Positive attitudes about aging may pay off in better health
- Asian Media Reacts to Trump-Kim Summit
- Bikinis and TED Talks: Can This All-Asian Competition Truly Disrupt Beauty Pageants?
- Transcript: New members of Congress on "Face the Nation," January 6, 2019
- A prescription for Madagascar’s broken health system: data and a focus on details
- Top stories: The dark triad, the lost men of ancient Spain, and the race to save the pangolin
- Plant Hedges to Combat Near-Road Pollution Exposure
Asian nations still hedging in global health diplomacy race have 308 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at November 9, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.